While Day 1 of the CrossFit Filthy 150 had come to a close, CrossFit announced its latest penalties from reviewing Open workout video submissions. This time it was 20.4. The good news is that there were no more false starts. The bad news is that there were two major penalties handed out.
20.4 was the clean ladder with box jumps and pistols…if you had already forgotten. And as expected, pistols were the main reason behind the penalties handed out. In total, 13 athletes received penalties, 10 of which were because of pistols.
Most of the penalties were minor, however, and won’t materially impact the leaderboard. There were two major penalties that did shake up the leaderboard, both were on the men’s side.
Giorgos Karavis (GRE) and Cedric Lapointe both received major penalties for lack of depth on pistols. The leaderboad shows Karavis still within the Top 20 qualification line, but Lapointe has now dropped just below the blue line. Lapointe is one spot away from a qualification spot, but should be safe once Rich Froning declines his individual invite.
For Lapointe, this is the third time in four weeks that he received a penalty after video review. On 20.1, Lapointe received a major penalty that was later reversed and downgraded to a minor penalty. Lapointe received another minor penalty on 20.3 and now is now once again caught up in the video review process.
Here is the list of athletes who received a penalty on 20.4:
- Tia-Clair Toomey – Minor penalty for finishing 1 rep short on pistols in the final round (consecutive reps completed on the same leg)
- Alanna Fisk – Minor penalty for no rep on pistol, lifted leg plants as the athlete is standing
- Brooke Haas – Minor penalty for lack of extension in the pistol
- Taylor Williamson – Minor penalty for lack of extension on box jumps
- Emma Tall – Minor penalty for finishing 1 rep short on the second barbell due to judge’s miscount
- Tyler Christophel – Minor penalty for only completing 29 pistols in the second round
- Jean-Simon Roy-Lemaire – Minor penalty for no rep on the box jump due to athlete’s hand on thigh
- Giorgos Karavis – Major penalty for consistent lack of depth in the pistol (right leg).
- Scott Tetlow – Minor penalty for finishing 1 pistol short in one round
- Jonne Koski – Minor penalty for no rep on pistols (heel touches the ground at the bottom of the pistol).
- Cédric Lapointe – Major penalty for consistent lack of depth in the pistols (both legs).
- Jacob Heppner – Minor penalty for finishing without completing three pistols. The athlete stopped and re-started on the same leg twice in set one and once in set three.
- Piotr Szczycinski – Minor penalty for finishing without completing three pistols. The athlete stopped and re-started on the same leg multiple times.
CrossFit still has one more week of video review for the Top 40 athletes worldwide. In addition, CrossFit has requested videos from athletes in contention to qualify as National Champions.
So far this year, CrossFit has handed out over 100 penalties through four weeks of the Open…just for the Top 40 overall. This video review process is new to the 2020 CrossFit Open.