The biggest news coming out of the CrossFit Games’ failed drug tests was Emily Abbott. Abbott won the West Regional, but tested positive for ibutamoren, an anabolic agent. Abbott appealed the test, but was ultimately suspended by CrossFit for four years.
Abbott went on the Barbell Shrugged podcast to talk about what happened. Throughout the podcast, Abbott sounded to be close to crying while talking about what happened. Here are some of the highlights from the interview.
- Abbott was officially notified on June 18. Abbott was tested on May 27.
- She had to provide a urine and blood test.
- Abbott has asthma and takes Salbutamol and Advair. She has taken this in the past and it has never been an issue.
- After receiving an email about her failed drug test and learning she tested positive for ibutamoren, she called her fiance. Her fiance told her that he had been taking ibutamoren for months without her knowledge.
- Ibutamoren is also called MK-677. It helps in building and repairing muscle damage.
- He would take it at night before bed.
- Abbott tested positive for 0.02 nanograms per milliliter.
- Abbott hired a European toxicologist for their appeal. The toxicologist said that Abbott got ibutamoren in her system from a kiss the night before her drug test.
- Abbott felt resentment towards her fiance and it strained their relationship. Her fiance was taking it because his body was “broken” and it made him feel better.
- Abbott “refutes” how it [ibutamoren] got in her system and the intent. She does not refute that it was in her system.
- When asked how she would react if another athlete had tested for the same level of a banned substance, she defended herself and could not answer how she would feel.
- Abbott now questions if she can even continue her relationship with her fiance because of the resentment she feels right now.
- Abbott remembered thinking if someone had sabotaged her until she learned it was from her fiance.
- Abbott has never been in a situation where her character has been attacked.
- All of this has been heartbreaking to Abbott. She has been trying to train through this and lost her voice in the days following the announcement by CrossFit.
- Abbott said she didn’t want her CrossFit career to end like this.
For the full interview, listen to the podcast below.