CrossFit has announced that five athletes have been suspended for failing in-competition drug tests at the 2019 CrossFit Games. Four athletes competed in the masters division while one, Gabor Torok, competed in the men’s individual competition. All for athletes have been suspended for four years.
These announcements increase the total number of failed tests to 12 this season. Last month, Anna Fragkou, Katie Trombetta and five others were suspended for violating CrossFit’s drug policy.
Today’s announcement suspended the following athletes:
- Gabor Torok (48th at 2019 CFG). Tested positive for a Stanozolol metabolite (16β-hydroxystanozolol) and Clomiphene on July 29, 2019. Four year suspension.
- Vincent Lopez (8th in Masters 55-59 division at 2019 CFG). Tested positive for a exogenous testosterone on August 2, 2019. Four year suspension.
- Paul Perna (1st in Masters 60+ division at 2019 CFG). Tested positive for a exogenous testosterone on August 4, 2019. Four year suspension.
- Robbie Perovich (3rd in Masters 40-44 division at 2019 CFG). Tested positive for GW1516 sulfide and GW1516 sulfone, metabolites of GW1516. His sample also tested positive for ostarine. The test was conducted on August 4, 2019. Four year suspension.
- Marion Valkenburg (3rd in Masters 55-59 division at 2019 CFG). Tested positive for Stanozolol metabolites (3′-hydroxystanozolol and 16β-hydroxystanozolol) on August 4, 2019. Four year suspension.
Three of the athletes, Perna, Pernovich and Valkenburg, finished on the podium. Both athletes will lose their podium finish along with prize money.
With Perna’s suspension, Gord Mackinnon will now be named the winner of the men’s 60+ division. Dan Brannagan and Carl Giuffre will take 2nd and 3rd place, respectively.
Pernovich will also relinquish his 3rd place finish. Caine Hayes will now take 3rd place in the men’s 40-44 division.
Valkenburg is the second athlete to fail a drug test in the women’s 55-59 division. Hylie Thompson was one of the athletes already announced. Thompson had taken 4th place. Valkenburg’s 3rd place finish will now go to April Watkins who originally finished 5th.